"Our nation’s future prosperity relies on advancing the frontiers of science—and researching our full potential requires including all Americans in that effort."
- Dr. France A. Córdova, Former Director, National Science Foundation
Broadening Participation, Expanding Opportunities
NSF INCLUDES envisions a nation where everyone has opportunities for success in STEM.
NSF INCLUDES is one of the NSF 10 Big Ideas. The Big Ideas represent unique opportunities to position the United States at the cutting edge of global science and engineering leadership through pioneering research and enabling activities. For the United States to remain the world leader in STEM innovation and discovery, it must identify and develop talent from all sectors to become STEM professionals.
The NSF INCLUDES Plan:
NSF INCLUDES is NSF’s response to the Committee on Equal Opportunities in Science and Engineering’s (CEOSE) 2011-2012 Biennial Report to Congress, which recommended that “NSF implement a bold new initiative focused on broadening participation of underrepresented groups in STEM, similar in concept and scale to NSF’s centers, that emphasizes institutional transformation and system change; collects and makes accessible longitudinal data; defines clear benchmarks for success; supports the translation, replication, and expansion of successful broadening participation efforts; and provides significant financial support to individuals who represent the very broadening participation that we seek."
- invest in developing, strengthening, and sustaining the NSF INCLUDES National Network
- support a variety of projects, including Design and Development Launch Pilots (FY 2016 and FY 2017), Alliances (FY 2018 and FY 2019), a Coordination Hub (FY 2018), and Planning Grants (planned for FY 2020 and FY 2021), to build collaborative infrastructure and form the foundation for the NSF INCLUDES National Network
- leverage allied efforts with NSF-funded projects and other organizations (e.g., K-12 school districts, colleges and universities, professional organizations, government agencies, foundations, businesses and industries)
- achieve significant impact on increasing diversity and inclusion in STEM education and workforce development at a National scale
Learn more about NSF INCLUDES:
NSF INCLUDES National Network
Building a national movement to broaden participation in STEM
The NSF INCLUDES National Network brings together the power of many to strengthen STEM equity.
Who is the NSF INCLUDES Network?
NSF INCLUDES-funded Alliances
NSF INCLUDES-funded DDLPs, Conferences, EAGERs, and Supplements
NSF-funded broadening participation in STEM projects
Programs and projects that focus on strengthening education and career opportunities in STEM
The NSF INCLUDES Network forges cross-sector partnerships, disseminates needed resources, and enhances capacity to create educational and career opportunities for underrepresented communities.
We invite you to join this National Network for STEM inclusion! Through participating in the NSF INCLUDES Network, you can:
- Learn about—and share—best practices in broadening participation with other leaders from education, science, industry, nonprofits, professional organizations, and government
- Strengthen your capacity in areas such as strategy, measurement, communication, and program sustainability
- Build a national community of supportive peers, who are singularly committed to catalyzing STEM education and career opportunities for underserved populations.
The NSF INCLUDES Network is open to anyone interested in
improving diversity and inclusion in STEM.