Our application is now open for the 2024 stEm PEER Academy.
Are you an engineering faculty member or education professional engaged or driven to improve the preparation, participation, and contributions of those underrepresented in engineering?
Would you like to join a community of like-minded professionals committed to and equipped with the resources to change the face of our national engineering landscape?
The Engineering PLUS Alliance is training, empowering, resourcing, and supporting a national network of change agents.
We call these agents stEm* PEERs and they will accelerate the implementation of high-impact, evidence-based practices within their home institutions to increase the number of engineering degrees awarded annually to women and BIPOC. (We just threw some acronyms at you and hope you'll explore those in our Eng+ Alphabet Soup below!)
If you would like to be a part of this important work, we encourage you to apply to the Engineering PLUS Alliance, one of 17 National Science Foundation (NSF) INCLUDES Alliances of higher education institutions. NSF INCLUDES is a nationwide initiative designed to build U.S. leadership in STEM by increasing the participation of individuals from groups that have been historically underrepresented.
The Engineering PLUS stEm PEERs engage in a 2± year professional development and research experience to support the design and implementation of evidence-based practices at their home institution. PEERs will have the opportunity to learn and engage with program experts, researchers, and practitioners. Throughout the 2-year engagement, participants will deepen their knowledge and understanding of the challenges and successful strategies guiding the transformation of our national Engineering landscape. In addition, participants will utilize data and assessment to inform their specific efforts and support and inform the implementation of synergistic program efforts at their respective institutions and beyond. PEERs will be guided and supported to submit project outcomes as publications to LSAMP, ASEE, and/or the National INCLUDES Network to inform future broadening participation collaborations. PEERs will launch a growing community of engineering education equity leaders.
Each program participant will receive a $1,000 stipend to support their participation in the virtual convening and for their continued engagement in this effort.
There are currently 38 stEm PEERS engaged in this learning community from public and private institutions across the country.
Additional funding will be provided to support participant engagement at national conferences such as ASEE and CoNECD.
The stEm PEER Academy will investigate the following topics:
- Understand the engineering education pathway landscape with emphasis on Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion.
- Utilize data (IPEDS, etc) to inform your broadening participation efforts for women and BIPOC engineering education pathways.
- Engage in models, interventions, and evidence-based practices that have been proven to support engineering degree attainment for women and BIPOC students at community colleges, public and private institutions.
- Build partnerships to engage stakeholders at your institution, region, and nationwide.
- Develop an Action Plan to implement at your institution (or with other institutions) during the 2024-2026 academic years.
- Open Now, Click Here
- Deadline: March 20
- Notification: Accepted applicants will be notified no later than April 17th, 2024
- Orientation: Attend a virtual Orientation, TBD
- Institute: 10-1 pm EST on May 21, May 22, May 28, May 29, June 4, and June 5
- Monthly: Attend virtual 1hr sessions and complete program updates (July 2024 – May 2025)
Resume/CV, two (2) Recommendations, and Essay in response to the following question: "What is one evidence-based strategy or program that you believe has the potential to be most beneficial for this population of students (BIPOC) and/or women? How could you implement this strategy or program in your own institution?"
To learn more about this program, please click here.
To view the flyer: stEm PEER Academy Flyer
Eng+ Alphabet Soup:
- ASEE: American Society for Engineering Education
- BIPOC: Black, Indigenous, and Other People of Color
- CoNECD: The Collaborative Network for Engineering and Computing Diversity
- Eng+: Engineering PLUS
- INCLUDES: Inclusion Across the Nation of Communities of Learners of Underrepresented Discoverers in Engineering and Science
- LSAMP: Louis Stokes Alliances for Minority Participation
- NSF: National Science Foundation
- PEERs: Practitioners Enhancing Engineering Regionally
- PLUS (of Engineering PLUS): Partnerships Launching Underrepresented Students.
- STEM: Science, Technology, Engineering, Mathematics
- stEm: "E" emphasizes Engineering in Science, Technology, Engineering, Mathematics
Please email me directly with any questions you might have regarding the Engineering PLUS Alliance stEm PEER Academy, firstname.lastname@example.org .
Please feel free to forward this to your colleagues, faculty, and administrators.
Executive Director | Center for STEM Education
Co-Principal Investigator, The Engineering PLUS Alliance
009 Dana Research Center, 360 Huntington Ave, Boston MA 02115
Phone: 617-373-2036 | Cell: 617-697-7151 | Web: https://stem.northeastern.edu/